Wednesday, January 21, 2009

How We Operate

This blog will serve no other purpose than to update you on some current happenings in the life of an American student studying abroad in Cork. I haven't been on any more crazy adventures, just excited to share a little bit of life.

1) Twilight has ruined my social life. I have been reading the books since I've gotten here, and I'm nearly through the third one. They are such a quick and easy read, I'm having trouble putting it down!

2) It snowed here on Monday. That's right--snow. Excuse me, but I thought I was leaving that kind of weather back in Minnesota. Not so cool. Or maybe very cool?

3) I will never take for granted a hot shower again. It's been three weeks, and I have had one warm shower--at the hostel in Dublin.

4) I'm taking a note from my friend Alyssa in Spain--I'm still accepting that it's pretty obvious that I'm American and that I don't know anything about the UCC campus (Exhibit A: Trying to figure out how to check out a book in the Open Reserve section of the library--I finally broke down and asked a librarian. Exhibit B: Not quite sure how to get into a locker at the gym. Apparently all you need is 1 euro.)

5) Since I've been here for three weeks now, I can start to talk about what I miss (besides all of you!). I think the thing that is most noticeable right now--drip coffee. I'm not a fan of the instant stuff, which is apparently your only option here.

6) Is mise Allison. Is as Minnesota me. Is Mac Leinn me. Ta me go maith. Go raibh maith agat.
(It's the little Irish I've learned so far, meaning: "I'm Allison. I'm from Minnesota. I'm a student. I'm doing good. Thank you." For pronunciations, you'll have to skype me).

Hope that was entertaining for you! Slan!

No comments:

Post a Comment