Saturday, January 3, 2009

Little Fish in a Big Pond

After the number of lessons I have already learned from being in Cork, I feel as though I could be dubbed a little fish in a big pond. Below are the lessons I have learned thus far from being in Cork.

Lesson #1: Bring an extra outfit in your carry on whenever you fly.
After four days of still being luggage-less, my roommate Megan and I have finally broken down to buy more clothes. Apparently the airport will reimburse for whatever clothes we need to buy. Today we went to TK Maxx to buy new clothes (TK Maxx is the Ireland equivalent to TJ Maxx). Hopefully our luggage will come in the next day or two. Also, relevant to this particular message, be sure and remember to pack your glasses with you on your carry on, or an extra pair of contacts. I have been surviving the last four days with one contact, since the other has torn and I conveniently forgot my glasses at home.

Lesson #2: Visit the Franciscan Well if you ever find yourself in Cork and in need of a refreshing beverage.
Last night, nearly all the students from our university went to discover this fantastic little pub right across the river from the apartments. It definitely was an adventure. I tried a strawberry-lime cider that was great!

Lesson #3: Leave time for jet lag.
No need for explanation--I have gotten more sleep in the past couple days than I ever have before.

I guess that's all the lessons for now, but never fear, there are more that are bound to come up.

As for other news, I have five roommates. Megan, one of my friends from St. Ben's, shares a room with me. Two other girls from St. Ben's, Abby and Liz, also share a room in our apartment. And finally, Allison and Erica round out our even six. The last two girls go to Washington College in Maryland. Allison is a junior as well, and and Erica is a sophomore. I think I have been officially been given the nickname of Alli for the duration of my stay here in Cork since we have two Allisons in our apartment.

The last couple days have been spent exploring the city, getting to know other students from St. Ben's and other schools, and relaxing. We've gone shopping nearly every day and gotten to know the two grocery stores (Dunnes and Tesco) very well. It seems like every day we find a new street to explore. Our location to these stores and main street is fantastic! It's about a two-block walk to the beginning of main street. The stores seem very similar to those in the states.

I guess that's the only updates for now. Monday we have orientation and start classes on Tuesday, so I should definitely have more excitement soon.

3 comments:

  1. I miss Ireland. Ahhh, I can't believe you are in Cork!!! I wish I could come visit you! Have a wonderful time! If you get a chance you should go to Pennies for clothes too! (The Irish equivalent of JCPenny.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was good to talk with you this morning, Allison! Have a great day! Praying for luggage...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to mention this travel tip, but figured it was too obvious. I never had a problem with lost luggage until I went to Greece. I planned ahead for that, but still 4 days without clothes sucks. You begin to smell very European :) They lost my bags going both ways. Playing bag-tag when you're hopping islands in Greece is no fun, it just never seems to catch up.

    ReplyDelete