Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Compendium of Sorts

Things Minnesotans are better at (a.k.a. the things I miss):

1. Handling the cold weather. Let's face it--double paned windows, hot showers. We're just more prepared for it. Rightly so, I think, since we have far colder weather. Unfortunately, the cold weather has returned to Ireland, and believe it or not, it's snowing here as well. I think I was the only person in choir yesterday who groaned when they heard it was snowing. It's such a rarity here that the Irish absolutely love when it snows!

2. Going to class. I kept hearing everyone say that no one goes to class on RAG Week. I shouldn't say that they aren't as good as Minnesotans are at going to class, they just are more willing to take a class off. In Minnesota you literally have to be on your deathbed to skip a class, but here the slightest cough will do. Perhaps it's the lecture style, or perhaps its just my inability to skip class and Minnesotans are just as bad.

3. Coffee. I still miss my drip coffee.

4. Peanut butter. I don't think the peanut butter here is that bad, but apparently I'm vastly mistaken according to my roommates. This makes sense, however, as no one here really likes peanut butter.

5. Driving. Everyone I knew before this trip that had never gotten carsick has now experienced it. Those windy, curvy, one-lane countryside roads are enough to make anyone sick. Not to mention the numerous roundabouts which cause a slamming of ones brakes.

6. Being on time. My choir rehearsals are supposed to start at 7, and usually don't get going until 7:15. In addition, I rarely have a class that starts earlier than 5 minutes late.



Now for the other side. Things that the Irish are better at:

1. Going green. Exhibit A: You have to pay for grocery bags here. I realize in the U.S. some states have also adopted this tactic, but it's quite obvious here that everyone brings their own eco-friendly grocery bags. Exhibit B (the more literal interpretation): Mowing lawns in February. How sweet is that?!

2. Distinguishing accents. I'm completely horrible at this, although I've gotten better since I went to London. I just found out a few weeks ago that my art history professor, who I've had all semester, is Scottish. Not to mention that most of my professors are British. But an Irish student can tell which part of Ireland your from, not to mention if you're not Irish.

3. Sleeping in. I once overheard somebody say "Good Morning" at 3:00 in the afternoon. What a wonderful thing.

4. Procrastinating. No further explanation required.

5. Coffee. I realize this is on both lists, but the good thing about Ireland coffee is that it's nice and strong--just how I like it. ;)

6. Fashion. All the guys wear a scarf and peacoat here. You can tell who's American because they wear sweats and invariably have a Northface jacket on.

7. Salt and vinegar. Between chips (fries) or crisps (chips), I can't get enough of the stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment