Monday, February 2, 2009

A Day of Anniversaries...

Yesterday, February 1, was not only the first day of February, but it's also the first day of Spring in Ireland, as well as the anniversary of my being here. It's hard to believe that I've been here for an entire month already--the trip is one fifth over and my semester is one third over. Could someone please ask Father Time to slow down?

So in news:

1. I've joined the choral society. That's right, singing. I guess you could say that I'm officially singing in the rain now (or snow? See #5). I haven't been in an organized choir since high school, but it's great craic, and another great opportunity to meet students from the UCC campus.

2. Saturday brought with it a trip to the Midleton Whiskey distillery. Although I've been to the distillery in Dublin, two Bennies from London had come to Ireland for the weekend, so I went more for the company. It's always nice to be rewarded with a glass of whiskey, as well.

3. Superbowl party yesterday at the party palace! Two things that I should warn you about watching the superbowl in Ireland: 1) it starts at 11:15 pm because of the time difference and goes until 3:30 in the morning and 2) there's no commercials because Ireland doesn't really have commercials and because of the licensing agreements of American products. I watch the superbowl for the commericals, so I was a little disappointed. But the company was great and everyone brought a little appetizer to share.

Needless to say that my week has started off with very little sleep. We'll see how that turns out.

4. If you plan on travelling to Cork, then you will need to learn a few phrases. The following is a brief guide to speaking the local lingo. When asking someone's major, always ask "What are you studying?" When asking how are you, simply say "How are you getting on?" When a barista asks you what you want, she will say "Are you okay?" I'm bored is "I'm browned off." And of course, when greeting anyone anywhere, makes sure you let them know that you are glad they are there with "you're very welcome." This last one is my favorite because it's proper use of the phrase "you're welcome."

5. It snowed here again today. I don't think I need any further explanation.

As many of you are probably aware, I have a big art history test coming up that I will be studying for this week. (I wasn't aware that I had to actually study here...oh...STUDY abroad! Now it makes sense...) Alas, no trips to exotic and cultural destinations are in the near future for me, at least not for the next week. I hope everyone is getting on well enough at home. Miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment