Friday, February 27, 2009

Koranda Cookies Still Taste Good in Ireland

It's true--I'm making a batch right now. This is the second time I've made them since I've been here, which is way more often then I would make them at St. Ben's. I think it serves a dual purpose of satisfying my sweet tooth while simultaneously reminding me of home.

It sounds like the weather has been really awful in Minnesota. I think that's my cue to rub in how wonderful the weather has been here in Ireland. Literally fifty degrees and sunny every single day. I can't remember the last time we had a good solid rain.

I've really enjoyed getting back into the swing of things back in Cork. You can start to feel the urgency around campus as people realize they have papers and finals to start working on. Nor am I immune, since I have two papers due fairly shortly. It's exciting, though, because with only four weeks left in the semester, we can start looking forward to our month-long spring break! I never thought it would come, and now it's only a month away! Before I can think about that, though, I need to stay in Cork and be productive!

On Fat Tuesday here in Ireland, it's more like Pancake Tuesday. I wasn't sure exactly why, so I did what I normally do--Googled it. Apparently, the Irish eat pancakes because it was a way for them to get rid of their rich foods, like milk, eggs, and sugar, which they were supposed to refrain from eating during the season of Lent. I was not deprived of this either! We got to have pancakes during choir rehearsal with my favorite topping--Nutella! (No, I haven't gotten over the phase yet...)

Unfortunately, my immune system has finally decided to alert me of the change of living (and pace of life, I would imagine) in Ireland. Megan has been sick for the past few days and between yesterday and today, I'm pretty sure I have something similar. Luckily she has stocked up on enough cold medicine to share.

Irish Lesson for today: Counting in Irish
A haon, a do, a tri, a ceathair, a cuig, a se, a seacht, a hocht, a naoi, a deich! Now you can impress all the people you know!

1 comment:

  1. Katie is on her way home for Spring Break - maybe we'll make cookies, too!

    ReplyDelete